[AT] oil change

william.neff.powell at comcast.net william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Fri Dec 7 10:32:40 PST 2007

>From little chemistry I had in college I always thought that the frost on the carb was from the vaporization of the gasoline. I remember that when a liquid crosses the phase barrier to a gas it takes a lot of energy to cross... So, as with freon, when gas evaporates, heat energy is taken during the conversion which cools off the carb.

Also, many old tractors do not have heat risers, so, the dense cold air coming in does not  help the gas evaporate, so, you stall out unless you force more fuel in by putting on the choke. Eventually the manifolds heat up and your fine, slow speeds, low wind.. For an old tractor lover this is a minor inconvenience, but probably unacceptable for most auto drivers zooming down the road at 60 cooling off their manifolds.

As far as the injectors, aren't most of them spraying in right at the manifold near the head? That area probably heats up fast.