[AT] oil change

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Dec 7 08:53:46 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: <JTakemoto at wildblue.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] oil change

> Funny wind chill can cause ice in a Carburetor on a fairly warm morning 40
> to 45 deg.
> J.
Actually it is the humidity (moisture) in the air that causes carburetor or
intake icing. That moisture-laden air rushing through the carb and intake
will turn to ice until the engine heats up enough to melt it. Surprisingly
we can have just as severe carb icing problems at 40 above as at 30 below as
it is usually very low humidity conditions at -30. A cool summer morning at
even 60 degrees can still cause ice buildup on the intake manifold of older
tractors (and my IH truck) when the humidity is high. I've seen it happen
many times. The easy cure? Just shut off the engine for a few minutes to let
the heat from the engine warm the manifold enough to melt the ice. After
that it is good for the rest of the day. Thats the reason the newer (70s and
up) engines had a hot air "stove" on the exhaust manifold to warm the
incoming air and prevent this icing problem. Vehicles anyway. I've never
owned a gas powered tractor new enough to have a "stove"

Ralph in Sask.