[AT] More on modern oils in older engines

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 5 04:58:08 PST 2007

This note came from another list where I sent the ATIS message about the
newer oil formulations and their impact on flat tappet engines:

I sent Ashland Oil Co. Ashland,Ky. an e-mail asking about the levels of
ZDDP in Valvoline oil. Also sent them a copy of the NMA warning. This is
their answer. Oh, who to believe, that is the question !!
Larry

The oil industry per ILSAC had to only decrease the levels of ZDDP
(Zinc) in certain viscosity to meet new emission standards. The ILSAC
rated oils still have an average of .085 levels of zinc. Testing has
shown on standard OEM set ups that used mild camshafts will still get
plenty of protection from the new rated oils. There is an exception when
it comes to extreme aftermarket applications. If you have a high
performance solid lifter set up with an aggressive cam then you will
need to use a quality Racing Oil or Fleet Oil for break in and normal
usage. These oils have an increased level of Zinc that will range from
.14 to .16 and will provide plenty of protection.
The consensus in the industry is that the current chemical limits of the
GF-4/SM category are still sufficient to protect all "street" engines,
including older flat tappet engines. The engine tests required for a
GF-4/SM product is just as severe as the older, higher ZDDP allowed
category. For the special applications (aggressive cams, high HP racing
motors, etc) where the customer needs more ZDDP protection, our NON-GF-4
products still contain the higher levels (such as VR-1 and "not street
legal" racing).

Based on that, I don't really think that those of us with older engines
need to get ourselves all in a tizzy about cams getting wiped out
because of insufficient zinc in our oil.

Mike