[AT] AT Digest, Vol 42, Issue 31

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 31 21:26:59 PDT 2007

From: "Larry D Goss" <rlgoss at evansville.net>
Subject: Re: [AT] grounded coil
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>

For the record, i didn't doubt your experience in the subject.  at  this
point it's down to semantics and minutia being discussed.. and the issues
are in wording and application.. not actual function.. which it seems
everyone is in line with and on the same page.

>Yes, I have electronics background.  I started working with electronics --
>for money -- back in 1953.  Trained by the US Air Force in 1960. Wrote the
>>first CAD subroutines for electronic schematics for the AEC while working
>f>or Bendix in 1969,  taught Electronic drafting for better than 30 years,
>etc.  I tuned and repaired Allen electronic organs back in the days of
>vacuum tubes.  Took the NEC sometime in the 70's.

As i suspected.  Non tractor applications /  breakerless ignitions and all
the stuff I specifically disclaimed.

>The schematics that I have at hand and available at the computer which show
>a grounded case are from the Kohler Single Cylinder Service Manual ENS-575
>as revised in 5-73.  It shows the CASE of the coil being grounded in
>Figures
>7-5, and 7-13.  It also shows the case not being grounded in Figure 7-10,
>>and it shows the Breakerless ignition with a grounded case in Figure 7-11.
>But I am not going to post them.  It isn't worth my time and trouble.

>My response to the first question concerning this was to "be careful" in
>making an absolute statement that the case does not need to be grounded.  I
>still stand by that.  BTW, I am not angered by the diligence that is being
>>pursued on this question.  We all have to be vigilant in making sure the
>"facts" that are posted on forums such as this are accurate.

Ditto.. Agree on all points.  That's why questions and answers need to
placed in proper context.  That's why my reply posts specifically disclaim
those special case scenerios.. like breaker less ignition, hei, electronic
modules, and impulse pickups..

Soundguy