[AT] Portland

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 26 17:27:35 PDT 2007

Barbara and I will always have fond memories of Portland 2007.
The truck was hot when we left Friday evening; as it took a long time for
me to tie down the G with three straps and the D14 rollover plow with four
chains.   One block outside the gate it stopped.   An hour later we
returned to the ATIS campsite, and friends immediately dived in to analyze,
etc.   "Helping us" became the intent of everyone in the campsite.
Verdict; a pinhole leak in the  lower radiator hose.  The plan; no choice
but to wait until stores opened Saturday morning   The pickup was loaded
with  two G plows, etc, so Larry Dotson volunteered his motorhome for the
night.     We had planned stopping along the way for evening meal, instead
Steve Sewell and Larry provided great sandwiches.     Saturday, B;ig Dog
chauffeured me to the four parts stores in Portland, then to Hartford City
to finally find the hose.  Gary Dotson headed upon the old hose removal,
then installed the new one.  The Dodge Dakota lower hose is a dog to
change, especially the removal.  Several backup toolboxes were on site, and
open for use.   And once again we are on our way.
The trip home went well.
One time Barbara broke out laughing, "I could not even get up close to the
pickup to see what they were doing, they had the front surrounded".
My first reaction when it happened was one of grumble, grumble.   After
while I realized how fortunate we were to have this occur at the show (our
total round trip was 1521 miles).   The $30 cost could easily have been a
couple hundred dollars, or double (out on the road); and taken considerably
longer.  And the campsite environment while waiting; it does not get any
better than that..
Thank You ATIS friends.
Barbara & Herbert Metz