[AT] '60s Loader tractor (was Re: Looking at a New Tractor

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Aug 25 02:35:41 PDT 2007

Tim Nobles wrote:
> Mike,
>     Thanks for the picts of the counter weights.  Like the 240.  Does that
> have a 3 point?  I just looked at one, but didn't have 3 point, so wasn't
> interested.
The 240U came with a fixed hitch, a "Fast Hitch" (IH two point), or
"Industrial Three Point. If it has the two point hitch, a three point
hitch is a very simple conversion with a readily available top link
bracket and lower links that slip into the lower link sockets. Mine came
with no hitch at all, so I bought a wreck and salvaged the three point
hitch. The 240 is a nice enough tractor, but the C-123 engine puts out
about 24 hp, and the 4 speed transmission shift pattern isn't conducive
to quick loader work. My friend Paul Sigmund just acquired a 240U with a
loader, Sims cab, and power steering. He quickly discovered that,
without a counterweight, he had virtually no rear traction when the
bucket was filled. Paul also has an International 340U that he is fixing
up a loader for. If I was looking for a loader tractor of that vintage,
the 340U would be my first choice.

Aside from the Ford 800 series having about 45 hp, there isn't all that
much practical difference between the Ford 800 series, Case 430 and the
International 240U/340U. In my situation, the Case 430CK is a far better
loader tractor because it has a "shuttle shift" that provides a
forward/reverse operation using an extra lever. It also has power
steering. On the "downside", Case parts are nowhere nearly as available
as Ford and IH parts. Comparable tractors from John Deere would be the
40/400 series, but I have very limited experience with them.

Mike