[AT] Looking at a New Tractor

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Aug 23 08:23:24 PDT 2007

$3000 is a good price on a Ford 800 with a loader, assuming that
everything is in good shape. I assume that the Wagner has a crankshaft
mounted hydraulic pump. When trying out the loader, the boom should go
up smoothly and relatively quickly. I would say that the pump is most
likely of all the parts to be a problem. Sloppy valves are also pretty
common, and expensive to replace. The 800 series Ford is a very solid
machine. The 860 has the advantage of a 5 speed transmission with the
3rd and reverse being opposite - very good for loader work. All of the
other 800 series models are 4 speed.

Unless the tractor has power steering, you are going to find the
steering very stiff. Also, without a substantial counterweight, you
aren't going to have much traction on the rear tires. The counterweight
will also help with the steering.

I built a counterweight for a similar Case 430, using a plastic 55
gallon drum filled with scrap iron and bolted to a three-point drawbar.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/case_430_ck/t_case_new_counterw-1.html>
Contrary to popular belief, cast iron and steel is much heavier than
concrete. Use a plastic barrel, as a steel one will just rot away in time.

Mike