[AT] Showing tractors

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Aug 21 21:58:16 PDT 2007

    I am still hoping to hit Portland tomorrow (Wednesday) but it is taking
longer to get this gypsy wagon built than I expected. That is a common
occurrence these days...   :-)   If not Wednesday PM then Thursday morning.
I have had a few things pop up lately that took blocks of my time. I have
about had my fill of doctors, hospitals, nursing homes, funeral homes, wills
etc...
    An interesting side note here, (well, I thought so) I understand that
the oldest living woman in the world is now right here in Shelbyville
Indiana. It seems that she followed the most basic rule to become the oldest
woman, she didn't die...   ;-)

    Now about showing old tractors... Now that I will have less (hopefully)
demands on my time and energy for personal family care and farming I have
began thinking again about doing a lot more tractor stuff and showing next
year. I have had some thoughts bouncing around about showing. When my mother
(and Diana's mom) began to demand too much of our time caring for them I
cash rented most of the grain land on our small farm just one year at a
time. I kept my equipment in case I wanted to return to grain farming. I
have decided that grain farming simply doesn't pay well enough even with
this years higher grain prices to justify it on a small farm (122 acres). At
a tractor show auction Sunday (I didn't buy a thing) a fellow was chatting
about how bad the drought was hurting his crops. I responded that my cash
rent was doing just as well as the year before... He nodded knowingly and
walked away laughing...
    I have very mixed emotions about selling much of my equipment. My
current plan involves planting part of the land to horses over the next
year. I have been trying to do this for a couple of years but it has moved
slowly. Now it will happen quickly.
    I will likely sell my old Gleaner Combine but I just can't seem to
convince myself to sell my John Deere 4020 even though it has just sat in
the barn for over two years... It needs little more than painting and the
existing paint isn't just awful. The trouble is that I don't even belong to
the local tractor club any more (our local show sucks big time) and that is
the only one close enough that I would want to drive it to. It is heavy
enough that I would have to buy or build a trailer heavy enough to haul it
safely. I also have an excellent 16' IHC disk, a very good John Deere 4-16
semi-mount plow, a very good Glencoe 10' ripper type chisel plow and a very
good John Deere 24' 3-point field cultivator w/harrow bar. If I sell the
implements I don't need the 4020. If I sell the 4020 I don't have anything
else that could use the implements. They are kind of a set.   :-)   My 4 or
5 smallest tractors are all big enough to till my pumpkin patch. None of the
hay equipment requires very much HP. Even the Vermeer round baler operates
very easily behind my Farmall S-MTA. For the time being I am telling myself
that since none of my stuff owes me a dime and all of it was paid for in
cash when I bought it that I might as well just keep it (except for the
combine). At least I would have it if I want to till a field and plant it to
horse pasture or hay. Of course son Scott's Oliver 1755 would pull all of
it, just not quite as fast as the 4020. I don't know if he will keep his
Oliver or not and I don't think he knows quite yet himself. He did mention
maybe selling some of his stuff like his pull-type John Deere 24' field
cultivator and his Ford 4-16 semi-mounted plow. At the same time he
expressed reluctance to selling his really nice working John Deere 15" disk.
It needs new blades but he bought a big pallet load of very  good used
blades and I know that he has more than enough to replace all of them on his
disk. We were usually using my IHC disk with like new blades to disk the
first time over and usually just hitting the ground with the field
cultivators before planting but if  a second disking was needed we usually
used his Deere since it left the ground quite level compared to the IHC. I
bought his hay equipment from him and his solid old 1966 IHC Loadstar 1600
grain/dump truck. He still has an interest in his old tractors (and mine)
but his house addition (and remodeling the rest of it) promises to occupy
all of his extra time and money for the next year. He also hopes to build a
40'x40' pole shop/barn and if he gets it built then he may be able to do
more old tractor stuff in it. Right now he is squeezing in a tiny bit of
work on his Harley and my 65 Mustang when he can. He has about everything he
needs to get his Allis 190-XT, that he bought cheap to restore, running but
it is a gas and he is wishing he can find a diesel for it. He once found out
which diesel engines will fit but said Sunday that he lost the information
in the move. Does anybody know off hand?
    I have a small "fleet" of wagons, mostly hopper wagons and several are
small ones. I am slowly converting them to hay wagons. I may keep a couple
of the larger hopper beds for hauling sawdust for horse bedding.
    I have also thought about painting and showing my Yanmar 1500-D. I might
get tarred and feathered due to it not being old enough but I suppose it is
maybe 30 years old... I have never really checked. Well, if I did, I forgot.
:-)    One reason is that it is easy to haul in a full sized pick-up. I
could haul the Farmall CUB in the gypsy wagon and the Yanmar in the truck
bed. That would allow me to show two tractors at more distant shows. How
would everybody else's club react to a Yanmar 1500-D showing up?
    I mentioned that our local show sucks (not just my opinion). I tried to
do my part to help the tractor numbers a few year ago by hauling in 5
tractors and an Allis Roto-baler and the only thing I heard from the club
leaders was a couple of negative comments about my "rusty old junk". I
believe that most of the list members here that have been here to the farm
or seen my tractors at Portland will tell you that while most of my running
tractors may not shine in the sun, they are generally good solid working
tractors with out caved in sheet metal, bashed lights or are smoke machines.
:-)   The next year I just took my two restored tractors but the show just
keeps going downhill. In that club if you don't pull you might as well not
exist. When the show starts half the tractor in the display line-ups are
pullers and as soon as they pull they leave, even early in the show. I have
not been in the local club for several years now. I have shown at the next
county south-east of us.

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson