[AT] Need advice on 3pt Tractor

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Aug 16 07:31:11 PDT 2007

There are certain tractors that had really usable blades for road and
driveway maintenance.  One of the best I ever owned myself was a Farmall Cub
with its standard mid-mount blade.  Adjusting it for grading slopes
(side-to-side) is inconvenient, but it can be done.  Any blade that is
mounted between the front and back wheels that support it will do a good
job.  The greater the distance between front and back support wheels, the
better control you have over it.

I have a home movie from 1940 or 1941 showing the final grading of a lawn at
new construction.  The piece of equipment being used is a John Deere L or LA
with a mid-mount blade.  It had all the controls of a standard horse-drawn
road maintainer of that era -- big wheels on either side that the operator
used for controlling depth, offset, angle of cut, etc.  I've thought many
times over the years of pulling that footage out (it's now on VHS) and
uploading it somewhere for the enjoyment of members on this forum, but I've
never gotten around to it.

Most of the time, I find myself wanting to fill potholes and get the
landscape level and even rather than to shape it, so next weekend I'm
picking up a gill (AKA soil pulverizer) for that purpose.  One of those
pieces of equipment turns the whole process into a "no-brainer".  It takes
such a small amount of talent to operate that any teenager can do it even if
his only evident skill is to say, "You want fries with that?"  BTW, your
name came up in the discussions about this piece of equipment, Herb.
Apparently you and I have some friends and acquaintances in common on other
Internet forums.

Larry