[Farmall] IH Hydro tractors (was Re: Some ads from the 8/11 Lancaster Farming (Mike Sloane)

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Aug 13 05:13:28 PDT 2007

While I have no personal experience with them, I understand that the IH
hydro mechanism is about as "bulletproof" as the rest of the tractor.
According to various publications, many farmers were skeptical that a
hydro would hold up under the heavy loads presented by actual farming
operations in 50-90 hp tractors, but IH engineers did their homework and
  apparently built systems that did very well in actual practice. The
544 is probably the smallest of the farm hydros (the 884 and 966 were
among the other sizes sold). Operators appreciated being able to change
"gears" depending on ground conditions without first stopping, which can
means all the difference when working in soft or wet soils or baling,
etc. And, of course, many farmers appreciated having clumsy/ignorant
employees not crashing gears and burning out clutches.

Mike