[AT] Truck Info - 1988 GMC 7000 with 8.2L GM Fuel Miser Engine

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Aug 9 19:33:09 PDT 2007

Phil Vorwerk - Printwear Graphics wrote:
> My brother and I are going to go take a look at a bucket truck.  We're
> familiar with the arm that's on it - we already have an identical unit, but
> we don't know anything about the engine on this truck.  It is a 1988 GMC
> 7000 with an 8.2L Diesel "Fuel Miser" engine.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this engine?  I'm curious about
> experiences with reliability, longevity, economy....   (You know, all the
> usual suspects.)
>
> Thanks-
>
> Phil
> Courtland, MN

It's a 4 stroke Detroit engine that uses the 2 strokes fuel system. Most
were around 250HP and they were tuned for mileage not power.

The blocks have an open deck that lets the heads move around a LOT. No
sleeves so if you need work you have to do a bore and hone plus
surfacing the deck. Usually after 200K or so the heads need work. The
early ones had smallish head bolts that let the gaskets fail. The catch
is that you need to find a mechanic who really KNOWS them to get them
set up real well. You need special tools that are no longer available
new. If you EVER pull the heads you have to retune the engine.

If the truck is in good shape I would almost consider repowering it with
a newer engine.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York