[AT] Gas In Oil

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Thu Aug 9 19:05:52 PDT 2007

    Leroy;
    Yes, it is possible. Engines with cam driven diaphragm fuel pumps often
developed a hole in the diaphragm allowing gss to get into crankcase
    Poorly tuned engines or engines run with the choke on will allow
unburned gas to pass by the rings into the crankcase.
    Downdraft carburetors can flood and permit gas to run down into the
cylinders and into the crankcase.
    Had a tractor one time that had a plugged drain in the bottom of the
carburetor. It leaked enough gas to fill the air cleaner to the level of the
intake runners and into the cylinders.
    Very large aircraft engines use an oil dilution in cold weather. The
C-124 cargo plane had 80 gallon oil tanks for each engine, and in very cold
weather it was common to inject up to 20 gallons of fuel into each tank
before shut down to allow faster oil circulation on startup.
    If the oil is not an exceccive amount, the fuel will evaporate out when
the oil is warmed to operating temp

                    Gene