[AT] Question - tractor/combine related

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 3 05:47:44 PDT 2007

Tarps.

     I use some tarps here in NY, Greg, where the climate may be similar to
yours.  The only reason that I use them is because they are better than
nothing at all.  I have found the typical light weight translucent ones
(such as Harbor Freight Farm quality) have a life of about 8 minutes.  I buy
the heavier weight double coated tarps at tractor supply.  They are silver
on outside and black on underside. I am thinking a 10' x 12' is in the $14 -
$16 neighborhood.  At best life on these is one year.  If they are not torn
from sharp edges and wind, the sun will destroy them in that length of time.

     If possible, it helps to cover sharp points on the equipment with wood
or pieces of styrofoam to reduce puncture of the tarp.  To tie down, some
bungies are used, but mostly I have cut lengths of nylon rope two to three
feet long.  For over the winter I try to tie at all eyelets on the tarp.
Not too handy to put on and off, but it keeps them from blowing away.  Any
area sheltered from the wind by a building or ?? is a good thing.  They will
blouse up in strong wind, but they have never left town.

Good luck,

Charlie V. in cooking WNY