[AT] Question - tractor/combine related

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Thu Aug 2 15:41:18 PDT 2007

For many years I have stored my combine and tractors in buildings at my
dad's place.  However, after my dad's death, my youger brother ended up
inheriting the home farm.  (Whole other story!)  My brother is now in the
process of eliminating my equipment from the buildings, although he does
not have the equipment to fill them.  I have some storage for the smaller
pieces and some of the other things can stay outside.  Although outside is
not the best for these, they will not be ruined.  However, my biggest
tractor (an IH 856) and my 2 combines (both IH 715s and all 35+ years old)
need a home.  The one combine has already spent a year outside and it has
not done it any favors.  I really don't have the money to put up a
permanent building, although I would welcome any ideas on types of storage
that may be possible.  I am mainly interested in knowing if anyone has
tried tarps, plastic, etc.  If they work, how you fasten them down for the
wind, and how you can put them over the machine without every corner
tearing a hole in the tarp... or is there some type of material available
that is resistant to this?  Any and all suggestions and help would be
appreciated.

Greg Hass
Michigan