[AT] Torque for bolts vrs studs in cylinder heads?--followup

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Sat Apr 28 19:37:53 PDT 2007

Larry I've never actually torqued one of those torque to yield head bolts
myself so I don't know the mechanics of it.

Speaking of working up a sweat with a torque wrench.  Have you ever been
around anyone rebuilding a big Cummins diesel like the one's in over the
road trucks?   It's been over 20 years since I was around one being rebuilt
but if I remember right the head bolts torque to something like 350 ft/lbs.
It takes a BIG torque wrench and a big man (or men) pulling on it.

Charlie