[AT] Torque for bolts vrs studs in cylinder heads?--followup

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Sat Apr 28 11:32:17 PDT 2007

John,  some of the new light weight auto engines use head bolts that are
"torque to yield"  which means they are tightened to where they are just at
the point of failure.   When you remove the heads on those engines you MUST
replace the head bolts.  Those first GM diesel car engines (the 5.7 built
from a gasoline block) were that way.

In other words they used the smallest, lightest head bolts they could get by
with and they won't stand up to being re-used.

Charlie