[AT] Torque for bolts vrs studs in cylinder heads?

D8RMAN at aol.com D8RMAN at aol.com
Fri Apr 27 20:08:32 PDT 2007

John, There are a whole bunch of GOOD reasons to stay with all of the OEM
parts and torque specs on head bolts! You may get away with some non-OEM parts
sometimes but it is like gambling with your engine's life span. Granted it
varies from engine to engine, usually older engines have more room to play with
and more modern engines have tighter specs with almost no room for error.
Some  head bolts are TTY and can only be used once. The headgasket thickness also
 matters on some engines especially if you have had the head resurfaced.
Sometimes the OEM manual will give 2 torque specs with the head bolt dry or oil
on threads. Studs or bolts of the same grade should be the same spec I think.
If  you lower the grade of bolt you may be asking for problems. Just my 2
cents.  Willard Smith, Tacoma, WA.

About how much more torque would be required for using bolts in an
engine head vrs. the regular studs?  (One for the  experts!)   John W.

In the wide-open spaces of NE  Oregon