[AT] Helping a Good Friend!

Terry Welch terry1955 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 24 16:49:27 PDT 2007

Half the fun is in the finding and recovery of old iron. It seems to be something special. I noticed a lot of smiles in the pictures. I had the same thing happen when a group of us moved a 40,000+lb stationary steam engine. At the end of the day you are happy to know you got it done. I know a group of collectors that get more of a thrill in the finding and recovery than having a restored piece in their stalls.
  Terry

steve sewell <sewell at oak.cats.ohiou.edu> wrote:

> Saturday I ventured to Waynesburg, PA to meet Spencer Yost and
> help him take his 25 HP Ball Oil Field Engine off the oil well where it
> had spent it's entire working life. At 7:00 AM I met Spencer and Brice
> Adams and Steve Sewell for breakfast and by 8:00 we were on our way to
> the Ball engine site some 20 miles away. Spencer had hired a fellow with
> an excavator to assist with the job. (What a God-send that was!)
>
>http://www.oldengine.org/members/rotigel/Spencers_Ball_Engine/index.html
>or you can go to http://www.oldengine.org/members/rotigel/ and click on
>"SE List Members Engines" and then on "

Follow up. The Ball engine made the trip to North Carolina this weekend and
is on the ground by Spencer's shop. We all made a guess on the weight of
the engine when it was loaded. So I crossed the scale before I left and
today. Friday I scaled at 20,320lbs , truck - trailer and engine. Today it
scaled 14,020lbs. So next time someone asks how much a Ball engine weighs
the correct answer is 6300lbs.

- Steve

PS there was a bet on this but I will not say who won or lost.
PPS Dave we'll collect at Portland. (-;