[AT] Add-on hydraulics and power steering?

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Sat Apr 21 22:15:40 PDT 2007

Anyone know of a good book on very basic practical application of
hydraulics and old tractors?  One specific is...can you use a front
or rear mount hydraulic pump that is being used to run a loader (etc)
to run an add-on power steering unit also?  What capacity pump would
be required?  What kind of plumbing and fixtures would be
needed?      Also, can a pump be too big to run such a system.    I
tried to run a wood splitter off of a large BeeGee pump hooked up to
the belt pulley shaft on an AC WC tractor (came off of a Cat) but
about all it did was heat up the oil and stall the tractor.  One guy
told me the pump was "just too big."  ???

                    In the wide-open spaces of NE Oregon