[Farmall] Brake band removal, and vocabulary

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sat Apr 21 18:51:08 PDT 2007

Okay, 9:30 p.m. and time to call it a day.  Got the M brakes all apart
except for removing the bands from the housing, and they really do not want
to come out of there.  Each end of the band is held in place by a pin, and
one pin came out easily but I can't the other to budge after many cycles of
tapping, pulling on the little bit of the exposed end, heating, applying
penetrating oil, and using some very bad language.  Exact same deal with the
other brake.  It makes me think those pins aren't supposed to just come out
like the other ones did, except I can't think of any reason why that'd be
the case and the parts book shows both pins to be identical.

I tried just sliding the shaft out of the housing with the brake band still
attached, but first I'd have to remove a little woodruff key on the outside
end of the shaft and it is similarly reluctant to leave its position.
Again, same deal with both brakes.

So I'm letting them sit overnight.  For tomorrow, I may just declare victory
and clean the bands up as best I can while they're still in the brake
housing.  Since each band has one end loose I can move them around enough to
get at them pretty well.

Good tractor day, all in all.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio