[Farmall] Oily brakes, Farmall M

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sat Apr 21 12:58:13 PDT 2007

Thanks, gentlemen.  I haven't yet tried your various suggestions on cleaning
up the brake bands and drums but I'm getting there.  So far I've got the
right brake off the tractor and mostly disassembled, and have cleaned up the
side of the transmission case and the area around the brake shaft.  The oil
seal does look like it's a double seal, as John Puckett had thought it
might.  I'll concentrate today on getting the bands and brake drums cleaned
up and wait to deal with the seals until I can go get some replacements to
have on hand.

Pretty straightforward so far, but in the nothing-is-ever-easy department I
did notice that the brake housing wouldn't clear the hitch mounting bracket
on the front side of the axle.  Good news was that I'd had the hitch off
last Fall, so those 1-1/4" nuts hadn't yet forgotten how to turn again.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net