[AT] Separating Water from Hydraulic Oil?

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Apr 20 09:23:20 PDT 2007

LOL!  That sounds exactly like my friend, Rolla.  According to his way of
thinking, the entire world revolves around the field of chemistry.  He will
do his best to convince someone that even very mechanical things are the
direct result of the chemistry involved.  Yesterday he tried to convince me
that he was doing digital (as opposed to analog) analysis back in the 30's
before computers were invented.

He did a bunch of work not only in oil/water separation, but also in soil
desalinization around oil wells.  I feel a little sorry for him in some
respects because when he gets on the Internet, he can't think of anything he
wants to know about except the latest work that's been done in
chromatography and whether or not anyone has cited some of his findings from
back in the 1940's.  I keep advising him that the technology has advanced
considerably since he did that work and that there aren't likely to be any
more citations, but he doesn't want to hear it.

He started his career unloading gold at Fort Knox.  One of his first
assignments was to help in moving all the French gold off the box cars and
into the vault before WWII.  He talks of the different ways the bullion
sounds and looks from various countries because of the chemical composition
of it.  He's quite a character.

Larry