[AJD] JD A Head gasket question

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 20:04:43 PDT 2007

Thankyou all for the responses.  I am pretty familiar with the head installation,  this one has been a tough one.  This is the third head gasket on this tractor.  The head has been magged and machined twice,  this time I replaced the block and had it machined as well.  I bought the other block as a 'good boreable block' many years ago from Nampa Tractor Salvage.  I never had it checked,  so it will go to the machine shop to see if it was any good.  The block I am putting in has been magged and bored so I hope there will be no leaks this time..  I was just wondering what others had heard about sealant on head gaskets.  I usually paint them with an aluminum paint.  My money is on the old block being cracked in the #2 cylinder... judging on all the water in that cylinder..

               Chris

Bill Salisbury <salisburyw at comcast.net> wrote:
  Hi Chris,

I have used a product for years on copper head gaskets that works well. It
also allows the head to be removed at a future time without the problems of
Permatex. Granted, some Permatex sets up hard and some is softer. I have
used Copper Coat with very good results over many years. On gaskets that
have copper on both sides, this Copper Coat can be cleaned off with acetone
and then recoated for re-use of the old gasket. Yes, this works, provided
that the gasket is not damaged.

I cannot say which side of that new gasket of yours faces the block.

Regards, Bill Salisbury