[AT] Coughing CPR

Sheppard, Charles E sheppard at indiana.edu
Tue Apr 17 12:27:50 PDT 2007

I am not a medical doctor but my wife is a nurse in a cardiology group.
She put the question to them about the validity of coughing to ward off
heart attack.  They suggest it is not an effective strategy.  I Googled
it, also, and got many different responses but the consensus appears to
be that coughing CPR is urban legend; some even say it can be dangerous
as coughing can raise the blood pressure in the brain.  Better to call
911.

Many of the antique tractor guys I know and have seen are older and may
be at greater risk for sudden heart attack.  The portable defibrillators
may be a worthwhile consideration.  We have one at our office that does
not require any training.  It will not deliver a shock if a normal
rhythm is present.  CPR training is now widely available and would be
the next best thing to a defibrillator.  And, of course, most of us
should shed a few pounds, eat healthy and get moderate cardiovascular
exercise on a regular basis, IMHO.