[AJD] Late Styled G Rear Wheel Removal

bill gray billgrayalt at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 21:06:11 PDT 2007

Thanks to all for your suggestions to my wheel problem.  I was able to remove the clamp this evening.  I cut three pieces of 3/4" rod 1" long and inserted one thorugh each of the holes for the jack bolts.  I then used 2" jack bolts which barely fit between the clamp and the axel housing.  The 1" pieces of  3/4" rod provided the extra length since the 2" bolts were not long enough to reach through the clamp.  It took about six rounds turning the bolts ~ 1/8 of a turn using a long wrench with a 4' cheater pipe to get the clamp to move.

  I will definately use NeverSeze or Wax Paper during reassemby

  Now for the fun of moving the wheels.

  Thanks again for the suggestions!

bill gray <billgrayalt at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I am trying to remove the rear wheels from a late styled G. They are currently mounted with the Hub/Clamp on the inside. The right wheel is set out far enough that I was able to get the jack bolts in the threaded holes in the clamp and remove it with little effort. The left wheel however is mounted too close to the axel housing to get the jack bolts in the threaded holes. So far I have tried impacting the hub from the outside through the holes provided in the wheels, then I tried to press the clamp off from the outside using a 12 Ton hydraulic jack between the front end loader on a 4000 JD and a steel plate with 3/4" rods attached against the clamp using another tractor to react the other side with no luck then I tried heating the clamp with the same load applied. I have also soaked it with PB Blaster almost daily for a week before I started.

Any suggestions?

Bill Gray
Tifton 44 Bermuda Hay Operations
In Use John Deere 4000 and 430W
Rework in Progress John Deere 430T, Styled G