[AJD] Late Styled G Rear Wheel Removal

KWReese at aol.com KWReese at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 06:55:00 PDT 2007

Bill:

I had difficulty removing the hub/wheel from one axle on my 1950 B some years
ago.  Nothing seemed to work.

The solution was to use 3 -  3/4" threaded rods screwed into the hub and a
1/2 inch thick face plate which fit over the rods and held in place with washers
and nuts.  Then between the face plate and the end of the axle, we placed a
30-ton hydraulic jack.  That did the job. Anything smaller was not strong
enough to move the hub.  There was a loud crack when the hub finally let go.  We
would only move the hub about 1/4 in at time and then had to reset the jack and
tighten the bolts.  Of course, once the hub and axles are cleaned the the
wheel moved in and out with ease.

Sure which I could show you a photo as I find it difficult to clearly
describe the process in words.

I located the jack at an industrial rental business.  I suspect the typical
rental store would not a jack of this capacity.

Ken Reese