[Steam-engine] Reverser lever

Francis Orr steam.boat at verizon.net
Sun Apr 15 17:24:35 PDT 2007

Rick,
The "Reverse Lever" changes the motion of the valve in relation to the
motion of the piston. In addition, it controls the amount of valve travel.
The motion has to do with Ahead & Reverse while the amount of valve travel
has to do with the period of time that steam is admitted into the cylinder.
As you move the Reverse Lever towards the mid position, the amount of valve
travel is reduced thus admitting less steam into the cylinder and yes it
does effect the power output. You need a lot of power to get a train moving
but not much to keep it moving once in motion.

Nation Builder books has the J.I. Case book listed on Ebay right now with no
bids starting at about $9.00. Lindsay Publications used to put out a copy of
the book but I have not seen it listed lately. If you are going to mess with
steam you have to get the 8 Vol series "Audel's Engineers and Mechanics
Guide." Finally, get into your search engine for Woolf Valve Gear. There are
guys out there who have put it all onto video presentations so you can see
how it all works. There are some very interesting valve motions out there so
take a look at them.
Francis A. Orr