[Farmall] one thing leads to another

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 15 04:15:56 PDT 2007

A couple weeks back we were straightening up the mess the rats caused to my
clutch on my I-20. Once we got everything reinstalled and started to hook up
the linkage, I found a ridiculous amount of slop in the pedal. Too much to
even attempt trying to get the free travel right. Off comes the pedal to
reveal this tractor has started and stopped so many times it has probably
wore out 3-4 clutches. The hole for the pivot in the pedal  had already been
filled in with brass and rebored and it had worn out. The hole for the
linkage to connect had officially become a slot. The pin might as well have
been a bent nail. And yes, there was a bent nail in the pedal that they used
to hook the return spring to.

I decided to sleeve the pedal so I bored it out to fit a thin walled steel
sleeve I made. The shaft that the pedal goes on had bad wear as well however
it isn't simply removed. It is somehow hooked to the inner workings of the
transmission and I didn't want to get into all of that!! I took my Dremel
and ground off a couple of high spots until I could get the sleeve to just
slip on. You just got to love trying to machine parts to fit something
egg-shaped! As for the linkage  hole I welded up the worn areea with nickel
rod and used the Dremel to make that side of the hole round again.
Everything fits well now--just got to set my free travel.

Oh Yeah. While putting the clutch back in, dad  spotted that the fuel line
had rusted in half. I don't mena no pin hole--it was two pieces with a gap
in between. Don't know how it happened or when. I last drove this tractor no
more than 3 years ago when I put it under the shed. Anyway, the original
steel fuel line has now been replaced by copper. I did salvage the ends off
the old line and soldered them to the new. I duplicated the loop and bends
in the line as best as I could. Maybe when this tractor is painted in 20??
the correct police won't find the copper!

We'll try cranking it next week. If it does, I'm almost afraid to put it
back under the shed. After all, it was field ready the last time I put it
away!!

John Hall