[AT] The old putty knife does it again

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Apr 15 03:35:25 PDT 2007

I keep an old 5 gallon pail with all of the old scrapers, putty knives,
wire brushes, etc. that I have accumulated. This is my "tool box" that
is brought out when I am tearing down an engine or other old equipment.
As Dean discovered, putty knives are excellent for scraping gaskets, and
they also come in handy for removing thick layers of oil soaked dirt.
For really stubborn gaskets, various woodworking scrapers come to the
rescue. I combine that with some old stainless steel pans, the porcelain
coated metal "vegetable" drawers from discarded refrigerators, and
various fryer baskets to soak pieces in kerosene (paraffin in the UK).
Any fasteners that can't be loosely attached to their respective pieces
go in plastic (not glass) peanut butter and mayonnaise jars and other
suitable containers (often rescued from the kitchen garbage pail), along
with a slip of paper or Post-It saying exactly where they came from. I
found out years ago that this last process saves a LOT of time later on,
especially when weeks or months separate disassembly from assembly.

Mike