[AT] Way OT Computer Virus question

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sat Apr 14 18:11:43 PDT 2007

I get messages like this from time to time.  However my computers are obscure
enough (freebsd) that there are NO known viruses for them, and there is
enough security built in that I'm reasonably confident I don't have one.
Many scammers have been sending messages like the exact one you are getting
for years, in hopes that someone is stupid enough to follow them.

My best advice:  Windows XP has a very too user account system.   Create a
separate  account for yourself (and each family member) that is not
administrator.  Only use the administrator account when you need to install
something.   This one change will help a lot.   Unfortunately many programs
still will not run unless you are administrator - even though there is no
logical need for the user to   administrator.   Still it is worth a shot, if
it works for you, it will save a lot of bother.  (Apple forces all mac users
to do this.   Which is one more reason I recommend people buy a mac if they
can)