[AT] Was: Super A waterpump; Now: Cores

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sat Apr 14 15:58:53 PDT 2007

I can tell you from personal experience that the cores get rebuilt IF
they are usable. Cardone has been doing it for 35 years  and there are a
LOT of others as well. Take a look at http://www.apra.org/ for a sample.
The core charges on "new" parts are because of a few things
1. it is easier and cheaper to reuse the non wearing parts over in many
items than it is to make new ones. In an alternator for instance the
rotor, and housing don't see much wear, Replace the bearings test the
windings and replace the diode pack, brushes and regulator and your
done. Test it and ship it out. Water pumps: pull the shaft, replace the
impeller and the bearings and the seal and true up the flanges and your
done. The pump body is usually fine unless you manage to break it. I
have helped out in a shop that did alternator rebuilds for a parts
chain. The routine there was to bead blast the housing, dip it in
sealer, replace the failed parts, bearings and brushes, test the unit
and send it out.
2. There are more than a few instances of parts no longer being
available and a reman is the only option, cores are worth a lot in that
instance.
3. Less trash in the system from folks tossing the old parts in the
local trash, as well as lower costs on many parts due to the reman system.

Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York