[AT] Way OT Computer Virus question

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Sat Apr 14 05:50:37 PDT 2007

About a month ago I picked up a virus.  I know when it happened.
I hit a web site with a bunch of pop ups.  In the process of clearing them a
warning poped up on my screen warning me not to open a file.  Unfortunately
I made an errant click (my fingers got ahead of my brain) and I opened the
virus file.  IMMEDIATELY I started to work clearing it.  After about 4 hours
I thought I had it.  Then the next day it was back.  I went to work on it
again and got it cleared.
Since then I've run frequent checks with AVG free edition which was running
when I got the virus and with other online virus checkers.  My AVG is on
auto-update.  I also run Zone Alarm Pro firewall.  Somehow Zone Alarm got
corrupted.  I deleted it and downloaded a newer version.  Zone Alarm and AVG
say my system is clean.  One online virus checker found the virus again but
showed in a quaranteen file.  My system at this point is running fine BUT  I
keep getting messages like the one below in my e-mail.
Some of them come from a site that claims to be my ISP.  Some of them come
from servers all over the world.  I was getting several of these messages a
day.  Then they went away.  Now this week I'm getting them again but in
lower numbers.

See the message below.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Charlie

We have detected that your e-mail account was used to send a huge amount of
spam during the recent week.
Probably, your computer had been infected by a recent virus and now runs a
trojaned proxy server.

We recommend you to follow our instruction in order to keep your computer
safe.

Best wishes,
suddenlink.net technical support team.

--------  Virus Warning Message --------

document.com is removed from here because it contains a virus
(W32/Mydoom.o at MM).