[AT] Another long tractor saga

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Fri Apr 13 15:43:19 PDT 2007

It started so well.  I wanted to turn the soil in my two garden plots
then run through that with the chisel plow and finally with the section
harrow to make a nice surface.
Well first to the plowing.
Enter the MF35 diesel and  the 2 x 16 plow.  Turned one plot and almost
got through the second when the plow hung on something big - lifted the
back wheels off the ground so no go.  Stopped for lunch with the thought
of coming back later with the JD 2010 diesel to pull the plow backward a
bit so it would release.  Ate lunch.  Decided to chisel plow the first
plot then pull the Massey loose.  Of course the JD stalled and wouldn't
fire.  Tried various options for freeing the Massey to no avail.  Got my
cousin to come by with his Allis 5060 to pull the tractors.  First the
JD - pulled out of the loose ground then tried to pull start.  Fired
right up.  Off to the barn with it in case it stalled again (I'm
suspecting some crud in the fuel tank - again).  Hooked to the plow on
the Massey pulled backwards about a foot and everything is free.  So
rather than having the gardens ready for planting and planting some
beans today (before the forecast rain tomorrow) I got about half way.
Oh well, I got some dirt on my shoes and some "seat time" and all the
tractors are under shelter once again.
I'll first try replacing the fuel filters on the JD - then to the tank
itself.
David
NW NC