[AT] List member check in rom Gilroy, CA

Dave Johnson webguydave at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 19:18:07 PDT 2007

That's a long way from home, Jason!

Ah, yep, we stink, a least for the few months in the
spring / summer that the garlic dehydrators are fired
up.... not too long ago we also had 3 tomato canneries
in town as well. In the summer mornings when the ocean
fog lay close to the ground, you'd think you'd stepped
into a pizzaria ( or in my case, died and gone to
heaven!!).

Unfortunately, the canneries are gone, and if China
garlic continues to be dumped here, the garlic
dehydrator will be gone as well. This year, for the
first time ever ( so it seems) the last hometown
garlic grower, Christopher Ranch has planted no garlic
locally - only out in the San Joaquin (sp) Valley.
Even so, I doubt we'll ever give up the annual Garlic
Festival!

Hollister is becoming a pretty good place to prospect
for older tractors / crawlers - a number of farmers
are retiring or selling out to developers...I can't
wait 'till my kids are through w/ college - that would
free up some tractor bucks!

Best

Dave in Gilroy