[AT] mosquito fogger

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Wed Apr 11 22:15:33 PDT 2007

Thanks for the ideas, fellows.

You are right about the ULV, H.L

Mike, around here there are no county mosquito commissions like there is
in your part of the country.  I guess the darn things aren't as bad
here, or probably a little more arid.  Municipalities either do their
own fogging, or they hire a contractor.  I have approached a couple
municipalities, but they have taxpayer monies, so they just buy new.  It
must not pay very good, as I have approached a couple of local
contractors and they are not interested in anything other than very
cheap!  I hadn't thought of the folks at Iowa State.  Thanks for that
thought.

Rick, it is a commercial unit.  Takes about a 300 foot swath.  Nice used
and reconditioned outfit.  New is in the neighborhood of $5-7000.  I
bought it with the intents of fogging 3 little towns in the area where I
do my cropdusting.  I got it in the fall of 2001.  Lined up the work and
went for the insurance that is required here in the state of Iowa for
commercial applicators.  NO WAY!!  No new policies especially to someone
that had not been doing that kind of work.  Might be a terrorist!!!  My
25 years of doing the same thing with an airplane did not count.  I
tried all over the country.  No go.  So.....I just fog my own place.  It
is nice, but not a very good use of my money.  The knee jerk reaction to
the Trade Center thing has subsided now, and I could probably get
insurance, but my little towns have contracted with another vendor now.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA