[AT] Do I need gasket sealant?

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Apr 11 03:39:44 PDT 2007

Hi Dean:

 This has been debated here before and both sides left feeling that they
were right...   ;-)
    This is my opinion, everybody is entitled to their own opinion as long
as it is the same as mine.  :-)   I "NEVER" put stuff together dry. Of
course I don't work on the new stuff where there may be special needs and
sealers may present a problem. I do know that I see a "LOT" of shiny new
looking leaking tractors at shows. I recall a few years ago at the big KY
farm machinery show when they had a few dozen antique tractors sitting at
different spots all over the show buildings. It is an all indoor show and
about 50% of the "restored" tractors were sitting there with drip pans under
them to catch the leaking oil. BTW you also see some of the new ones
dripping oil. They don't use a lot of sealer on new stuff but it is not
because it harms anything to use it (in moderation) but because it cost a
little more in time, material and labor to use it. They are also starting
out with what should be near perfect surfaces and controlled conditions.
    The first step is surface preperation. Any tiny bit of old gasket or
grit is a potential leak. So is a deep scratch or worn out of shape surface
caused by an over-zealous attack on the mating surfaces. About 90% of the
time I prefer a simple thin coat of Permatex Hi-tack. It holds gaskets in
place well for easy assembly yet parts cleanly and easily if later
disassembly is required. I never use the old "glue it on forever" Permatex
that used to require taking stuff apart with a chisel. Where it is pratical
I like the spray Hi-tack and just lay the gaskets out on a sheet of
cardboard to spray them. I do in some places use the RTV silcones but I
believe too much of it is used in many places. A very thin coat will
normally do the job and will not squeeze out a huge bead inside of the
engine etc. If a little does good, a lot does not do better in most cases.
:-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson