[AT] Semi OT....Troy Bilt Junior Tiller issues

Michael Miller sweetcorn70 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 10 18:35:46 PDT 2007

Hey guys and gals,

Since someone was complaining about not having any list traffic I thought
I'd post about this tiller I bought today.  It is a Troy Bilt Junior, and it
came with a furrower attachment that hasn't ever been used.   The gentleman
I bought it from had a price of $150 on it but said he'd take $75.   It does
have an issue.  The seller said he had a shop rebuild the carb with a kit
and also put on a new head gasket last fall.   It now has an issue where it
will run fine--until you put it in gear and put it in the ground and then it
just acts like it has no guts and dies.   I bought it without running it(yes
probably a mistake) but here is what I found once I got it home.   It starts
with the choke all the way on, and then once it starts you can put the choke
in the next notch.   The choke has 4 settings it can be in, if full choke is
4 then you can put it in 3 and it will still run.  However, in notch 3 it
seems to run wide open, regardless of if the throttle is at idle or 1/2.
Once you go so high, though, it dies.  It also runs faster than a normal
idle in setting 4 no matter where the throttle is set.   Once you engage the
tines/wheels but don't put it in the ground, it runs but loses some speed.
As I said before, once you put any kind of load on it, it loses RPMS and
then just dies competely.   I'm not sure if this all started once he had it
fixed, or since then.   Anybody have an idea?    Sound like a governor
problem or carb problem?    I am thinking it is something inside the carb
since it was worked on but I have no clue.   It is a tecumseh engine.   I
would appreciate anybodys thoughts or advice.

Mike