[AT] Do I need gasket sealant?

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Tue Apr 10 16:55:11 PDT 2007

I'm about to put the PTO housing back together and then back on my tractor, and bought some new gaskets.  Would it be worth my while to go get some gasket sealant and put it on in addition to the gaskets?

My gut feeling is not to bother with it, since I'm sure they didn't use Permatex or whatever when they built the tractor, and we're talking about the PTO housing rather than the engine head.  On the other hand, if a few extra minutes and a few extra dollars means the difference between a slow drip of oil from the PTO and no drip at all, I'd much rather have no drip at all.

Any experiences out there one way or another?

Thanks much--

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net