[AJD] My new tractor hauler / last purchase ever of the wife will kill me!

steve sewell sewell at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu Apr 5 20:24:18 PDT 2007

At 07:18 PM 4/5/2007 -0700, you wrote:

>    Ok,  I promise I won't buy anything else...really..
>

>    For quite some time I have wanted an old truck to
>haul my tractors to shows on.  As a youngster playing
>on my grandparents farm,  I would always love it when
>Don would roll in it his yellow trucks.  (He was the
>one that rented my grandparents land)  It always meant
>that there would be equipment for me to watch and
>hopefully get a ride too!
>
>    Well,  Don has retired from farming,  and most of
>his equipment went when he sold his potato outfit
>several years ago..  My cousin has a 1965 KW that was
>one of his trucks,  and I have been working to talk
>him out of it for a while now..  with no luck.  So I
>finally approached the new owner of the packing plant
>and bought a 1972 KW from him that had been one of the
>McMoran Farms trucks.  I got to drive it home today.
>
>     The state out up quite a fight,  as they wanted me
>to pay more sales tax than what I actually paid for
>the truck.. by with some fancy footwork and a few
>forms getting filled out,  the finally went with the
>price on the bill of sale..  I paid another $7.50 for
>a 'Farm Exempt' liscence,  and wahla,  I am now a
>farmer..
>
>     The truck has pretty new tires on it,  solid
>rubber mounted Hendricks suspension,  a 290 Cummins
>that is turbocharged (which I believe makes it a 335)
>with a 5 speed main and 4 speed brownie..  I wish we
>could put two stick transmissions in out fire engines,
>  that would keep the girls from behind the wheel for
>sure!
>
>     My hopes are to have it ready to go to a show in
>Omak on Mother's Day,  but I think that may be overly
>ambitious..
>
>     Here is a link to it and a few other KW's that I
>have run across..
>
>http://public.fotki.com/jdnut/kenworth-trucks-1/1972-kw-tractor-hauler/
>
>                      Chris

WOW!!!  What a great truck. Now all you need is a 30' rollback bed and you
are in business.  I learned to drive a tractor trailer/lowboy when I was
16/17 in the summers working with dad for a construction company. They had
2 Brockway trucks. One new one with a 12-71 Detroit and Roadranger. The
older one they let me drive some had the Cummins with a 5 & 4.  Possibly
some law against it these days but 30 + years ago they told you to load up
a dozer and take it to the job site a 100 or so miles away and you did it.
And learned along the way.
Great memories.

- Steve

Steve Sewell