[AJD] John Deere 330

Michael Ostrander antiquejd at fwi.com
Tue Apr 3 07:30:20 PDT 2007

Bill-
I don't think people that consider spending $125K on that tractor are losing
their mind.  Having said that, I would not purchase that tractor for $30K
either but, part of the reason is because I don't have $125K or even $30K of
discretionary income, and part of the reason is the appeal of the tractor
isn't great enough.  There is a model C on the market right now for $125K
that I was uninterested in at $75K because I thought it too much money even
though it had great appeal to me.  Last summer, a friend of mine was at a
large show and offered $70K for his Waterloo Boy and original plow.  Its not
restored with an automotive finish and spit shined and polished.  The man
still takes it to plow days and if you ask him, will let you plow a round or
two with it.  My friend looked at the would be buyer and told him that at 80
years old (the owners current age) what could he do with $70K?  He couldn't
walk out to his barn and start it, drive it, take it to shows, or make the
deposit slip the center of conversation with a group of collectors.  To him,
the value provided by the pleasure of owning the piece was higher than the
value of the money.  You are right, some people do have so much money that
the amount doesn't really matter.  The fact that we each have endless
possibilities and opportunities is one of the attributes that makes our
country the envy of people all over the world.  I am thankful I got to watch
this transaction publicly.  My congratulations go to both buyer and seller
on this one.