[AT] Troubleshooting no start

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Sep 28 15:17:00 PDT 2006

At the risk of starting something that we really shouldn't ----

FORD -- Found On Road, Dead!

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
[mailto:at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of pga2 at hot1.net
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 5:03 PM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: RE: [AT] Troubleshooting no start

Dean,
This sounds very much like my first car, a '53 Mercury with the flathead
V8.
You could roll start it very easily, but it wouldn't start worth a plug
nickel
using the starter. Even jumping it with 12V wouldn't help. I finally
broke
down and took it to the garage we used and they fixed it by rebuilding
the
distributor. Seems that when Ford changed from the front mounted
distributor
to the "normal" looking type, all kinds of starting problems like this
cropped
up. It's probably where Ford got the "Fix Or Repair Daily" reputation.
Check the distributor shaft for wobble and end play. That's my 2¢ worth.
Let
us know what you find.

Phil