Unicorn splitter (was Re: [Farmall] Some ads from the 9/23 Lancaster Farming

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Mon Sep 25 20:37:56 PDT 2006

The way he described it to me, he had sideways stabilizer bars on and would
lower the spinning shaft to about 6" off the ground.  Then he would roll
the logs into the spinning cone. As has been suggested, the ground is what
kept them from spinning.  Because the Oliver 3-pt had down-pressure, the
Unicorn could not lift up.  However, when he used it on his JD (without any
down-pressure) and hit a knot in a log, the log on the ground just lifted
the splitter and 3-pt in the air and started flipping the log around.  Thus
the demise of the log-splitter.  Hope this clears up any confusion.

Greg Hass