[atis] [AT] Troubleshooting no start

Stuart Harner sharner at starband.net
Mon Sep 25 19:52:59 PDT 2006

Dean,

I am no expert here, but since you have verified spark and air to the
cylinders, it would seem the missing part is fuel.

You said that you have fuel to the carb. but is it getting into the
cylinders?  I would suspect that the carb gunked up and the idle jet is
plugged.  I have had this happen to my old WD.  In my case it meant a carb
kit and quick overhaul, but the carb had not been right for some time
before, so I was expecting it.  But I was surprised when one day it just
would not start.

To verify this, I would put some gas in the intake somewhere to prime the
engine.  Some will balk at this, but a careful whiff of ether will
accomplish the same thing.  If either of these produce a start or at least a
sputter, you will know that there is no gas getting though the carb.

Good luck, bet it is something simple, it usually is...

Stuart