OT: Mice (was Re: [Farmall] RE: [AT] Starter motor: troubleshooting?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Sep 19 07:56:02 PDT 2006

Your local feed/farm store will have a selection of rodent pellets. I
used to use De-Con, but the mice ended up dying in the walls and inside
the nests. I switched to (something else - forget the name), and I don't
seem to have that problem.

As far as a container, any kind of box or covered tray, even an old
margarine dish with a couple of 1/2" holes will work. Place the
container back against a wall and/or behind other stuff - the mice like
to run back where they can't be seen easily. If you start seeing them
out in the open, you know they have taken the bait and are half dead.
Start NOW, even though the weather is warm - they are looking for places
to stay for the winter.

As someone else suggested, a neutered semi-wild cat also will keep the
mouse population down, but they aren't any good with rats. For rats, you
need a rat terrier or other mean little dog. Garter and black snakes
also eat mice and rats, but since I started keeping guinea fowl, snakes
are few and far between. Also, for some reason, a lot of folk don't like
having snakes in their buildings. :-)

Mike

Richard Pope wrote:
> We have a terrible mice problem - they got in our Toyota Tacoma engine
> compartment and ate the spark plug wires, completely severing some other
> wires.  They also got in our tent trailer and pooped/urinated all over
> the inside so bad that we had to gut the whole trailer - now it's a
> Utility Trailer.  What kind of rat poison do you use and what kind of
> container - we have three dogs.
>
> Richard in Apple Valley, CA
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gordon Williamson"
> <warbirdog at santel.net>
> Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 3:01 PM
> Subject: RE: [Farmall] RE: [AT] Starter motor: troubleshooting?
>

>>  You need to get cable made from "0" or "00" cable. Most implement
>> dealers
>> can make them, and also your better parts dealers.
>>   MICE. We put a lot of poison on, near, under,  the machinery. Gotta
>> be in
>> containers if you have pets, stock around.
>>
>> GW

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

War is so unjust and ugly that all who wage it must try to
stifle the voice of conscience within themselves.
-Leo Tolstoy, novelist and philosopher (1828-1910)