[AT] OT - Spyware problems

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Sun Sep 17 15:39:37 PDT 2006

Although I don't use IE on a routine basis for web browsing I think it
is a bit strong to say it is always unsafe.  The default settings that
Microsoft uses makes it more unsafe but if you "plug the holes" by
making some intelligent selections of what you allow and what you don't
IE is as safe as Firefox.  Now I do have an issue with Microsoft about
thier choices regarding settings - for example the Activex control is
always turned off for me unless it is needed (example Windows Updates).
It is an easy way for problems to develop.  I don't do auto updates (I
don't like the concept of allowing anyone to automatically change
anything on my computer) but I regularly check the Windows Update site
(IE required).
BTW Opera is now free also.
I use Seamonkey (used to be the Mozilla Suite - offered by the same
people who offer Firefox).
David
NW NC