[Farmall] Gear puller

birddog cvill at frontiernet.net
Wed Sep 13 15:17:52 PDT 2006

Karl,

No commercial here, but let me tell my tale:

Last winter I tried for two weekend sessions to remove the flywheel from
a Polaris 400 cc engine.  Taper on the shaft and in the flywheel.  It
would not budge.  Had to come off to replace the starter drive that the
P O took out and left out when it went bad.  I could not apply much heat
because of the coils behind the F W.  Also could not hammer more than
taps due to crank shaft bearings and an aluminum engine.  I totally
mushed over the end of the screw on two imported harmonic balancer
pullers turning on them with a socket and an 18" breaker bar.  The
flywheel would not budge.  I went to Sears and bought their harmonic
balancer puller for $22.00, knowing that if that broke, it would be
replaced free.  Walla!  Put about as much force on it with the 18"
breaker bar as I could muster.  I put two light pry bars behind the
flywheel to absorb shock, with a light outward pressure, gave the bolt
head on the puller a light hit and off she popped.  Actually scared me
when it popped.  I used as much force with the hammer hit as I dared
(but not a hard hit), because repeated beating would not be a good idea
and it wasn't easy needing three hands and only having two hands and a
knee involved.

For what it is worth, there is the story.  I am not the biggest Sears
tool fan that ever lived, but I also didn't want to pay over $100.00 for
the regulation Polaris flywheel for a one shot deal.  Now and then Sears
is just the right place to go.

Your mileage may vary.

Charlie V. in cool and rainy WNY.