[AT] electrical aid

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Tue Sep 12 19:41:40 PDT 2006

When I switched my Cub to the GM one wire alternator I had trouble getting
it to start charging. Because the Cub engine runs slow and has small
pulleys, I would have to grab the governor arm and overrev the engine quite
a bit. Besides the trouble I felt it was hard on the engine. I took it back
to where I bought it, and they fixed it so now it charges instantly.
However, instead of a push button, which was mentioned already, they
installed a small resistor inside the alternator. Works great, however if
you don't start the engine at least once a month, the battery goes dead
because of the very small drain of the resistor (remember this drain is
24-7). Hasn't been a problem except in winter when I seldom start it; so a
couple of days ago I saw a battery switch at  a flee market for $2 and will
install it and just turn off the battery for the winter. Still, all in all,
a very good system.
Greg Hass