[AT]was Transmission oil, now systems

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Sep 4 23:19:38 PDT 2006

Nominal sizes (sizes in name only) will always be with us regardless of
the actual size of the item, Mattias.  We will always call "dimension
lumber" by its nominal size, such as 2 by 4, 4 by 4, etc, but the actual
sizes of the wood haven't been measured that way for decades and the
standards by which the wood is milled are based on metric measurements.

Good Grief!  It's at about this time of year when I used to have to
lecture to my students about trimmed and untrimmed formats for drawing
papers in the inch system and the A-series and B-series progression of
paper formats for ISO.  All of us are still dealing with that dichotomy
and the problems it brings.  Most likely everyone who is reading this
message has at least three formats possible on the printer that's hooked
to their computer -- letter, legal and A4.  And those formats are
nominally in two different measurement systems but are actually
manufactured to just one.

That brings up a question -- What is the measurement system used for the
sizes of US currency and postage stamps?  It may be time to do some
Googling.

Larry