[AT] Transmission oil, 90-wt?

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Sep 4 17:44:56 PDT 2006

Back in 1975 when we were "supposed" to make a concentrated effort to
convert to metric measurements, I gave my college freshmen a test that
covered both the US customary units and the ISO metric.  Guess what!
They didn't have a clue about either one of them.  So I figured they
needed to learn at least one and I tried to teach some fundamental ISO
measurements for the next 20 years or so.  It was an exercise in
futility.  What really muddied the waters was when we started working
with the decimal inch system (standard everywhere except at Home Depot
and Lowes).  I finally ended up letting the students work with either
the ISO or the decimal inch.  Those students who insisted on working
with the fractional inch system abandoned it within a matter of minutes
when they found that no computer system supported it as a default mode
of operation.

Bottom line: students know more about how to text message each other
than they will ever learn about any measurement system.

Larry