[AT] Step one: Stop being an idiot

Ivan Cousins ivancou at alltel.net
Sat Sep 30 13:45:10 PDT 2006

Dean , think of it this way , look at all you got done along the way
,cleaning thecarb,filter,checking out points etc .

    One year it snowed and I was in the process of rebuilding the engine on
my A .Worked like a fool to get it put back together Next day  I wanted to
plow,so didnt even take time to check the valve s after starting or set
timing . It fired right up and sounded really good so I went out & plowed .
Left it sit out that night and it got really cold . Next night I came home
,more snow , tractor  coughed a few times but that was it .  New plugs,
rebuilt mag , uh uhh , no way .Cranked it till the battery went dead .
 Out with the trusty old shovel .
Next day ,same old story , no way, it wouldnt even burp on either .
Finally for some reason tried to take the bowl off the air cleaner and found
it frozen solid .Got out the heat gun ,thawed it out enough to get the bowl
off , the dang thing started right up . That ice cut off the air to the carb
.     Still havent found the leak in the air cleaner where its letting water
in but I still check that real often now .
Never did reset the valve or the timing ,you just bump the starter and it
starts right up  .
Short version , stuff happens , Ivan